The world of plastic surgery is full of stereotypes, and one of the strongest is perhaps the idea that cosmetic enhancement is only for the “fairer sex.”
While it’s true that women make up the majority of our patients, a growing number of men across the country and here in Albany are choosing to enhance their appearance with both surgical and non-surgical procedures.
According to a report just released this month by the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS), men had more than 1 million cosmetic procedures in 2014, which is 10% of the total number of procedures.
“The number of men flocking to plastic surgeons for both surgical and nonsurgical procedures continues to increase dramatically and are up 43% this year alone,” said Dr. Michael Edwards, president of the ASAPS.
It’s a trend my colleagues and I have seen firsthand at our plastic surgery practice in Albany, New York.
Here are the top 5 plastic surgery procedures for men in 2014, according to the ASAPS:
- Liposuction: Men in Albany and beyond seek liposuction to remove stubborn fat and sculpt the body when diet and exercise stop short. The abdomen is the most common treatment area for our male liposuction patients.
- Nose surgery: Men feel self-conscious about their noses for the same reasons as women: it’s too big, it’s not in proportion with the rest of the face, it lacks a streamlined shape, and so on. I’ve seen rhinoplasty work wonders for the self-confidence of both men and women.
- Eyelid surgery: We meet plenty of men who lead active, energetic lifestyles yet feel their outward appearance makes them look tired. Men love eyelid surgery because it allows for subtle rejuvenation. It’s no wonder the ASAPS recorded a 34% increase in eyelid surgery among men in 2014.
- Male breast reduction: The one regret from our male breast reduction patients? They only wish they had done it sooner. This particular procedure increased in popularity by 33% last year.
- Facelift surgery: Facelift surgery saw the biggest increase among men in 2014 at a substantial 44 %. By removing excess skin, we can help men turn back the aging clock.
If you’re interested in sitting down in person to talk about these or other procedures, feel free to contact me online to schedule a consultation.