Following weight loss surgery, it’s important to make some additional changes to help achieve your goals and carry out a healthy lifestyle. Remember, the surgery is only the beginning of the journey. It’s imperative to follow some guidelines to continue your weight loss, increase your energy, and most importantly, maintain a healthy lifestyle. Here are ten tips to help you progress following your surgery:
Tips for Progress after Surgical Weight Loss
1. Avoid sugar and fatty foods – Fatty, greasy foods tack on a ton of unwanted calories and are full of saturated fats, which are no good. Moreover, health complications can arise from having too much sugar following a surgical procedure.
2. Say ‘no’ to cocktails – There isn’t any nutritional value in alcohol, so stay away from it as much as possible. Not only that, but alcohol is more likely to result in stomach ulcers in those who have undergone weight loss surgery.
3. Chew. A lot. – It might take longer to eat now, but it’s important to take small bites. This will help you avoid becoming nauseous. If food entering your digestive tract is too large, it could cause you pain. Something you surely want to avoid.
4. Have a strong social support group – Having support from your family and friends can not only keep you motivated, but can help you stay on track when the process becomes tough or stressful. Emotional support, especially with something like weight loss, is vital.
5. Be cautious with medication – Before taking any type of medication, including over-the-counter drugs, you should consult with your doctor. Some can lead to health complications following your surgery. Ask your doctor about anything and everything.
6. Have smaller portioned meals – For anyone trying to lose weight, especially people coming off weight-loss surgery, it’s imperative to be eating smaller portioned meals. At first it may be tough, but over time, you won’t find yourself as hungry as you used to be.
7. Exercise lightly – It’s not a good idea to get right into the gym and perform full-force, but a light walk every day can certainly be of benefit to you. It not only will boost your metabolism, but it can also help improve your stamina, as well as prevent health complications, such as blood clots. Start small and slowly work your way up to more intense workouts.
8. The beverage can wait – You should avoid drinking fluids immediately before, during, or after your meal. Now that your stomach is smaller, you should fill it with nutrient-rich food. Liquids will typically make you feel full prematurely. Drinks and meals should not be consumed within a half an hour of one another.
9. Stay in touch with your surgeon – Your surgeon will be able to give you great insight, tips and support on how to stay healthy during this process, and can also advise you on any pain you may have as a result of your surgery.
10. Stay motivated – This is perhaps the most crucial part of the process following weight loss surgery, as there will be important life changes that you need to make. You need to stay consistent, motivated, and keep your spirits up. You can do it!
Healthy Lifestyle After Weight Loss Surgery
We hope these tips help you maintain a healthier lifestyle after surgery. Learn more about weight loss surgery on our website if you are considering it. And don’t be afraid to reach out to the dedicated team of surgeons at The Plastic Surgery Group with any questions. We welcome contact from people all over upstate New York and western New England, from as close as Clifton Park to as far as Syracuse or Watertown.