Once you make the decision to have tummy tuck surgery, it’s natural to start thinking about what needs to be done before the date of the operation. And rightly so: Planning ahead is one of the keys to a smooth and comfortable recovery. Preparation is essential for tummy tuck patients, especially those traveling from Syracuse and other areas an hour or more from our practice.
Every patient’s experience is slightly different, of course, but these tips apply to everyone.
- Quit smoking. Smoking increases the risk of complications and can increase the time it takes to heal. Even nicotine gum, patches, and e-cigarettes can lead to complications and should be completely stopped at least 2 weeks before the surgery — and for 2 weeks after. Ideally, it becomes your first step to kicking the habit altogether.
- Stop taking certain medications. Your surgeon will provide specific instructions at your preoperative consultation about the specific medications or dietary supplements you should stop using before the surgery.
- Eat a nutritious diet. What you eat beforehand becomes the fuel for your recovery. Eat a well-balanced diet not just to maintain your weight, but to make sure you have all the nutrients your body needs to begin the healing process.
- Create a post-op plan. As we said in a previous post about common tummy tuck concerns, enlisting the help of a network of family and friends to assist during your recovery is an important step in preparing for surgery. Plan to take off at least 2 weeks from work and arrange for child care if you have small children.
- Prepare your home. Set up a safe, comfortable recovery area where you have easy access to a telephone, reading material, the TV remote, and anything else you commonly use. Have a supply of loose clothes that are easy to put on and take off. It’s also good to invest in a handheld shower head and place a chair in the bathroom.
Think of it this way: Preparing before surgery means you’ve done everything you can to make your recovery following surgery as smooth as possible. Check out our Tummy Tuck FAQ page for answers to more general questions, and don’t hesitate to contact our office at (518) 438-0505 with any other questions you may have.