BUTTOCK LIFT SURGERY
While exercise is a good way to firm and shape the buttocks, there are limits to its benefits. For many men and women, genetics, weight loss, and the aging process can cause the buttocks to flatten and sag. If you have similar concerns, consider a buttock lift with The Plastic Surgery Group. Our experienced board-certified plastic surgeons perform a traditional lift technique as well as the popular Brazilian butt lift, which uses the patient’s own fat to make the buttocks firmer and more rounded.
BEFORE & AFTERS
IS A BUTTOCK LIFT RIGHT FOR ME?
Both women and men visit us in Albany for buttock lift surgery. It’s important to be in good health and at a stable weight before surgery. This procedure may be a good choice if you:
- Lost weight and your buttocks have become saggy
- Can’t improve the appearance of your buttocks through exercise
- Have buttocks that have become flabby as you have aged
HOW IS A BUTTOCK LIFT PERFORMED?
A buttock lift usually takes about 2 to 3 hours to complete but may take more time depending on the extent of the surgery. In most cases the surgery is performed using general anesthesia and you will be able to return home several hours afterward. Our surgeons perform 2 kinds of buttock contouring procedures:
- Brazilian butt lift: In this technique, our surgeons use your own fat to enhance the shape of your buttocks. The surgery begins with liposuction to remove fat that has accumulated in unwanted areas. The surgeon then processes and purifies this fat and injects it into the upper areas of the buttocks, as well as the sides and other places that would enhance the shape. Achieving an appealing contour requires the trained aesthetic eye of an experienced surgeon, and the result is a lifted, rounded look.
- Traditional buttock lift: The plastic surgeon makes incisions around the area that is going to be lifted. These are usually across the top of the buttocks at the belt line, along the sides of the buttocks following their natural shape, and below the buttocks. Through the incisions, your plastic surgeon tightens and reshapes the loose skin and in some cases removes excess skin tissue and fatty deposits, creating a smoother, more contoured buttock shape.
Sometimes, a buttock lift is combined with other procedures that may include a thigh lift or a tummy tuck. Your plastic surgeon will discuss these options with you during your consultation.
HOW MUCH DOES A BUTTOCK LIFT COST?
The cost of a butt lift varies depending on the technique used, but typically ranges from $6,500 to $8,000. The cost is higher if you have multiple procedures performed together. For the best possible surgical outcome, it’s important to consider your surgeon’s credentials above cost. Visit our Meet the Surgeons page to learn more about choosing a plastic surgeon. Our financing options can help you afford to pursue your desired improvements.
WHAT IS RECOVERY LIKE AFTER A BUTTOCK LIFT?
Patients all heal at their own rate, so it’s important to follow the specific instructions your plastic surgeon gives you following surgery. You will have several follow-up visits at our office during your recuperation period.
FIRST FEW DAYS
After your buttock lift, you may experience some mild to moderate pain or discomfort that you can control with medications your plastic surgeon prescribes. You will need to wear an elastic girdle-type garment as directed by your plastic surgeon to help support your buttocks as they heal. While rest is very important, you will also need to begin walking as soon as possible.
FIRST FEW WEEKS
There will be swelling and bruising on and around your buttocks, which in most cases will disappear within 3 to 4 weeks. Most patients return to work within 2 to 3 weeks.
You should avoid standing for long periods of time and engaging in strenuous activities for about 6 weeks.
WILL THERE BE VISIBLE SCARS AFTER MY BUTTOCK LIFT SURGERY?
While scarring is inevitable with a traditional buttock lift, your plastic surgeon has the skill and talent to make these scars as unnoticeable as possible. He or she will make incisions in areas that will be covered by your clothing and that will be concealed within the natural folds and creases of your skin. You’ll know before your surgery where the incisions and resulting scars will be, and you can discuss this with your plastic surgeon. Over time, the scars will continue to fade and eventually become far less noticeable; however, they will never completely disappear.
With a Brazilian butt lift, scars are much smaller because the incisions used for liposuction are very tiny. This is one of the benefits of this approach.
DOES INSURANCE COVER THE COST OF A BUTTOCK LIFT?
In most instances, buttock lift surgery is considered elective and insurance will not cover it. It is recommended that you discuss your coverage with your insurance provider and your surgeon.
IS IT A VERY UNCOMFORTABLE RECUPERATION?
In most cases, during the first few days to a week following a buttock lift, patients may experience mild to moderate discomfort, which can be relieved with medication. There may also be some swelling or numbness that will usually disappear in a few weeks.
WILL I BE HOSPITALIZED?
Most buttock lifts are performed on an outpatient basis, and patients are able to return home just a few hours after their surgery. In more complicated cases, or if more than one procedure is performed, a brief hospital stay may be necessary.
HOW LONG WILL THE RESULTS LAST?
The results of a buttock lift can last for years, but it’s important to eat sensibly and exercise to help maintain your smoother, tighter, more attractive appearance.