MOMMY MAKEOVER PROCEDURE
Becoming a mother can be a wonderful and rewarding experience, but pregnancy can affect the body’s youthful contours in a way that exercise and dieting can’t fully repair. At The Plastic Surgery Group, our board-certified plastic surgeons offer a personalized combination procedure known as a mommy makeover for women who want to rejuvenate their bodies.
BEFORE & AFTERS
IS A MOMMY MAKEOVER RIGHT FOR ME?
If you would like to rejuvenate multiple areas of your body after having children, you may be a good candidate for a mommy makeover. Whether your children are still young or they are grown, it’s never too late to feel confident about your body again. These personalized procedures are best for women who:
- Are in good overall health
- Do not intend to have more children
- Are not breastfeeding
- Have reached a healthy weight they intend to maintain
Because these guidelines are general, the most effective way to determine whether any cosmetic surgery procedure is right for you is to speak with one of our board-certified plastic surgeons during a consultation.
WHAT WILL HAPPEN AT MY MOMMY MAKEOVER CONSULTATION?
Your consultation is an exciting time for you to get to know your surgeon and learn about the improvements that await you with a mommy makeover. This appointment will begin with a review of your medical history and a physical examination. You will then have the opportunity to:
- Describe the improvements you would like to attain
- Review before-and-after photos of our patients
- Discuss your preferences and concerns
- Ask questions
The end goal is to arrive at a personalized surgical plan that will safely provide all of the improvements you want. To help you with your decision-making process, you will be given specific details about the procedure including the cost, possible complications, and logistics that will help you with planning. Our surgeons encourage you to take your time in deciding whether and when to move forward, and you will have the chance to speak with other surgeons if you’d like.
WHAT PROCEDURES ARE INCLUDED?
After pregnancy and breastfeeding, many women end up with smaller breasts, stretched breast skin, and enlarged areolas. Breast enhancement surgery can help your breasts look more like they did before having children or even better than ever. Procedure options include:
- Breast augmentation enhances breast volume through the placement of silicone gel or saline implants. This procedure can restore your breasts to their pre-pregnancy size or give you the full breasts you always wanted. Implants can fill out the upper portion of your breasts for a beautiful, more youthful shape.
- Breast lift surgery restores a youthful shape to breasts by removing excess skin and moving the nipple and areola to a higher position on the breast. Enlarged areolas can be reduced and reshaped as well. This procedure is a very common choice among women who notice a drooping breast appearance following pregnancy and breastfeeding.
- Breast augmentation with lift enhances both the shape and size of the breasts. Women who want to address sagging skin and simultaneously restore or create new breast volume often find that combining breast augmentation with a lift is the ideal solution.
Mothers know all too well that changes to the body are inevitable after pregnancy. Many have concerns about the appearance of their midsections, and other areas of the body may have residual fat. We have options to address these concerns:
- Tummy tuck surgery corrects damage to the abdomen caused by pregnancy, which generally can’t be corrected with diet and exercise alone. In addition to tightening loose, stretched skin, your surgeon can repair your abdominal muscles along the midline to flatten the belly, increase abdominal strength, and enhance your workouts. Other benefits include a less-noticeable C-section scar and removal of any stretchmarks on the excess tummy skin.
- Liposuction helps our patients address frustrating pockets of fat around the body following pregnancy. We use specialized liposuction techniques to enhance post-pregnancy bodies; for example, we can define the waist, enhance the curves of the buttocks, and reduce bra-line bulges for a smoother, more feminine appearance.
These are some of the most common procedures included in a mommy makeover, but many of our patients also choose other surgical and non-surgical procedures to create a more comprehensive result. During your private consultation, one of our board-certified plastic surgeons will provide detailed explanations of the options that could help you achieve your cosmetic goals.
HOW IS A MOMMY MAKEOVER PERFORMED?
Our surgeons typically perform mommy makeover surgery as an outpatient procedure at a fully accredited surgery center near our office. The surgery is performed using general anesthesia that is administered by a board-certified anesthesiologist for the highest level of safety and patient care. The amount of time for the surgery depends on the extent of the procedures you choose, but it typically ranges from 2 to 4 hours.
WHAT IS RECOVERY LIKE FOLLOWING A MOMMY MAKEOVER?
One of the benefits of having a combination mommy makeover procedure as opposed to scheduling separate procedures is the reduced overall recovery time. Although the recovery process will vary depending on the procedures performed, you can expect to follow this general timeline:
FIRST FEW DAYS
You’ll experience soreness and swelling, which your doctor will help to alleviate by prescribing pain medication. Aside from walking around your house to maintain circulation, you should keep physical activity to a minimum.
Following the first few days, you’ll begin to notice your energy returning. Although you may feel ready to resume your daily activities, you should take this time to let the body heal. We recommend clearing your schedule and avoiding any type of heavy lifting or strenuous activity.
1 TO 2 WEEKS
Within 2 weeks of surgery, we will remove your stitches and you’ll see a noticeable improvement in your overall appearance. Your surgeon will provide instructions on how to promote proper healing based on the procedures included in your mommy makeover. Our patients often find that they’re able to return to work and begin enjoying their beautiful results.
NEXT SEVERAL MONTHS
Following the initial 2 weeks of recovery, you’ll notice that your scars are healing and other signs of surgery are diminishing. Our staff will check in with you to make sure you’re recovering well, and we’ll be available to answer any questions you might have.
HOW MUCH DOES A MOMMY MAKEOVER COST?
The price of your mommy makeover will depend on the procedures included in your surgery. The range for mommy makeovers is $7,000 to $14,000. We understand that patients may need assistance in affording this investment, so we offer patient financing. We urge all plastic surgery patients to consider other factors, such as a surgeon’s qualifications, above cost. Visit Meet the Surgeons to get to know our team.
HOW DO I PREPARE FOR A MOMMY MAKEOVER?
Your surgeon will provide detailed instructions on how to prepare for your procedure. These instructions will include a list of medications to avoid, information on dietary restrictions, and material related to medical conditions.
One of the most helpful things you can do ahead of time is to arrange for someone to help you at home for at least the first week after surgery. While you are used to caring for your children, it is essential to allow someone else to take over at this time. Be aware that you will have restrictions on lifting, which includes babies and toddlers. By giving yourself a break from your chores and your children up front, you will speed up your recuperation and minimize the possibility of complications that could set back your recovery.
HOW LONG SHOULD I WAIT AFTER HAVING CHILDREN TO UNDERGO SURGERY?
We typically recommend that patients wait until they’ve stopped breastfeeding, or at least 3 months. For mothers with grown children, a mommy makeover is appropriate as long as the patient is healthy and can commit to a recovery period.
HOW LONG WILL MY RESULTS LAST?
Our mommy makeover patients find that their results last indefinitely if they avoid significant weight fluctuations and maintain a healthy diet and active lifestyle. It’s impossible to stop the natural aging process, but your results will last for many years following your procedure.
meet the team
Our group of plastic surgeons and dedicated support staff strive to provide beautiful, natural-looking results and a rewarding patient experience for everyone who visits us for cosmetic surgery.